Every Friday I post 5 things from around the web that I think are worth reading/seeing/thinking about. Some leave me dismayed, discouraged, overwhelmed. Others make me want to stand up and cheer. What do you think of my picks this week? Anything you would add?
1. She looks black but her politics are red. What Mia Love’s Victory Looks like for the Face of the GOP.
2. What White Privilege Really Means. This is a longer read but really good. An interview between George Yancy & Naomi Zack.
Exactly why unarmed young black men are the target of choice, as opposed to unarmed young white women, or unarmed old black women, or even unarmed middle-aged college professors, is an expression of a long American tradition of suspicion and terrorization of members of those groups who have the lowest status in our society and have suffered the most extreme forms of oppression, for centuries. What’s happening now in Ferguson is the crystallization of our grief. Don’t Shoot!
3. Kim Kardashian Doesn’t Realize She’s the Butt of an Old Racial Joke. Read the whole thing. Fascinating.
4. This is breathtaking. A collective prayers for Ferguson in anticipation of the Grand Jury verdict due any day now. These prayers were submitted by clergy, police officers, protestors, and others and edited by Pastor Renita Marie. Check it out and let it be your prayer this weekend.
5. And finally, something to make you laugh — in a “funny because it’s true” sort of way. A satirical look at “voluntourism.”